IMPACT OF CHAOS ON OUR ABILITY TO “BE THE CHANGE”
by Jenna Wexler
Chaotic times create uncertainties which foster insecurities; this calls on humans to be resilient. Yet, to varying degrees we each seek some certainty and stability of the [old] “normal” at a time when we are called to participate in the creation a “new” balance and order.
Not surprisingly, then, we have some human tendency to revert back to what is familiar – the [old] “normal”. And some of us have a stronger need for this than others who have creative resilience in the face of major changes. This is one of several key dynamics identified by chaos scientists. When we’re unaware of this, it’s easy to be judgmental of others and how they resistant change.
JULY’s SACRED ACTIVISM MEETING
During our July Sacred Activism meeting, we bravely went deep and explored resistance within ourselves regarding long overdue changes for racial justice and equity in our nation. We also identified how our resistance impacts the way and extent to which each of us ‘shows up’ in support of beneficial change.
- Some of us realized our emotional overwhelm, or “empathic distress”, can be so great that we shut down – like a turtle retreating into its shell – diminishing our ability to stay more present for those in pain and suffering.
- Some of us found the courage to own that we sometimes have trouble finding and using our voice – especially when confronted by angry people who prefer the world to stay as it has been.
- And nearly all of us expressed concern for losing momentum for healthy and just change – both personally and nationally.
Then we created affirmations regarding our resistance for our closing spiritual practice and personal prayers. I have woven these together into a prayer shared with you (below).
WILL YOU ASK YOURSELF?
In the privacy of personal quiet reflection …
- Where and how do I hold back from standing for equality and justice out of fear?
- How am I willing to change, knowing I am supported as I do so?
SACRED ACTIVISM MINISTRY: AFFIRMATIVE PRAYER
I am one with the Creator and all that is. In this oneness of being, I am one with the Universe’s Divine eternal and everywhere present flow of healing Love for all people.
- Through open and respectful listening, I expand my consciousness and discern how to be an active presence of change for a better tomorrow.
- I am willing to peacefully engage in ‘courageous conversations’ and respond to inhumane ideas and statements.
- I am graced to be a compassionate presence amid other people’s suffering as Love for them and also Love that supports me.
- Recognizing that I, too, may experience emotional overwhelm amid all of the racial and pandemic-related stress and suffering I witness in the world, I lean into my faith and God – welcoming and allowing myself to be protected and emotionally supported, healed, strengthened and guided – so that I may be a healing presence in our world.
- I continually maintain my momentum and show up to foster continued momentum for positive change in the US through actions that foster positive change and expanded understanding and care.
Grateful to be part of this momentum for good in challenging times, I maintain an active vision of our world lovingly transformed into an equitable, just, healthy, and loving community for all races and all people. Allowing this to inspire and guide my every thought, feeling and action, I let this be my truth and contribution to our collective healing and transformation. In all the Holy names of God, Amen. And so it IS.
Image by Jenna Wexler
January 12, 2021
January 04, 2021
December 30, 2020